Today in the shop...
Spent some time today experimenting with some possible colours for the Mandocello...
First I need to let you know that I decided to go with a French polish on this instrument, and by doing so, this will restrict my choices in blending colours and not be able to make a sunburst. Since the Leather dyes I use requires the same solvent that I use for my Shellac flakes, this bleeds the colors and mix them in a unwanted manner. In other words, It is almost impossible at this point to prevent the sunburst to bleed in the lighter colours in a controlled manner. Although my test so far are only on leftovers from the Mandocello rim that I separated in 3 pieces, I tested 3 colours and French polished them. This will obviously give a more antique look to the instruments and I am totally fine with this.
I am curious, what is your favorite colour and why... Leave a comment bellow I would really appreciate your feedback.
What colour would you make the Mandocello?
Today in the shop...
Today is all about sharing my last few years of research and sketching, cutting, shaping, and assembling on one single piece of paper. For over 3 years now I had in mind to get " Building a K style Mandocello" out from my bucket list.. Although the build isn't completed, I am entering the finishing stages. Meaning, I was able to put all the gathered information on one Full Size Plan. I am also happy to announce that the blueprints are now available in my Store.
I really feel like today was a big milestone in the Mandocello build. A lot was dependant on going over this step... -Voicing- I needed it to be done in order to finalize the M'cello Blueprints, the get started on the binding of the soundboard and backboard and to enter the finishing stages.
But also a lot needed to be dialed in before I even started with the voicing itself, Nut spacing, action setup, and also monitor the soundboard under tension for 2 weeks.
I'm exited about this step being behind now but I'm even more exited about the sound of the Mandocello! Check out the video...
The bridge is on and the Mandocello has been strung for almost 2 weeks now. Everything looks great and I am happy to report that 1st, I can enter the finishing stages right after the voicing is done & the binding added, and 2nd the M'cello full size blueprints should be available really soon!
In this video I share and demonstrate how I was able to figure out the different locations (that creates the Intonation) where the strings go over the bridge. This is a very quick instructional video...
Lots more progress on the Mandocello plans today... Most of the layout and templates are on at this point and most the remaining information to be added is written.
Really happy of the overall progress this week. Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on them till next Monday... Here a few picture of the progress since yesterday.
Having the strings on the M'Cello has been really exiting and since I want the Mandocello to be strung for 2 weeks to keep constant pressure on the soundboard and monitor... I decided, since there is a lot of interested people waiting on the blueprints that I might as well get started on those.
So the blueprints will be full scale, hand drawn. All the information will be on one sheet and this is how far I was able to get today...
Not a bad day!!!
If you would like your name to be added to the list of interested builders send me a quick note here:
Got really exited last time I was in the shop.. Made the bridge, strung the Mandocello and was able to hear it for the first time... Mind you the voicing is not done and the action isn't optimal..( will most likely get the spacing on the nut between the strings closer also).
I've been able to play this monster up to the point that my fingers asked me to stop... It was so rewarding and exiting to hear the response, the tone, and how low it sounds in person. Oh, and the low C isn't a thud... It rings on and on and on!!! I made this little clip for everyone interested to hear it at this point in time... Link Below!
Latest video in the Mandocello build series. Making and Gluing of the Fretboard.
What a great step to pass thru today! The fretboard glue up... Although I still need to clean and level the frets, just having the fretted board glued in it's resting place feels great.
So, today I started with bending, cutting the tang, and fitting every frets to their location. Made a dry fit of the fretboard and then do the glue up. I want to leave it aside for 24 hrs so after most of the afternoon under the clamping pressure it was time to bring it back in and leave only one clamp overnight for good measure.
If all goes well, I might have some strings on by next week or at the latest 2 weeks!
Tomy Hovington Luthier