Today in the shop...
Spent some time today experimenting with some possible colours for the Mandocello...
First I need to let you know that I decided to go with a French polish on this instrument, and by doing so, this will restrict my choices in blending colours and not be able to make a sunburst. Since the Leather dyes I use requires the same solvent that I use for my Shellac flakes, this bleeds the colors and mix them in a unwanted manner. In other words, It is almost impossible at this point to prevent the sunburst to bleed in the lighter colours in a controlled manner. Although my test so far are only on leftovers from the Mandocello rim that I separated in 3 pieces, I tested 3 colours and French polished them. This will obviously give a more antique look to the instruments and I am totally fine with this.
I am curious, what is your favorite colour and why... Leave a comment bellow I would really appreciate your feedback.
What colour would you make the Mandocello?
Today in the shop...
Today is all about sharing my last few years of research and sketching, cutting, shaping, and assembling on one single piece of paper. For over 3 years now I had in mind to get " Building a K style Mandocello" out from my bucket list.. Although the build isn't completed, I am entering the finishing stages. Meaning, I was able to put all the gathered information on one Full Size Plan. I am also happy to announce that the blueprints are now available in my Store.
I really feel like today was a big milestone in the Mandocello build. A lot was dependant on going over this step... -Voicing- I needed it to be done in order to finalize the M'cello Blueprints, the get started on the binding of the soundboard and backboard and to enter the finishing stages.
But also a lot needed to be dialed in before I even started with the voicing itself, Nut spacing, action setup, and also monitor the soundboard under tension for 2 weeks.
I'm exited about this step being behind now but I'm even more exited about the sound of the Mandocello! Check out the video...
The bridge is on and the Mandocello has been strung for almost 2 weeks now. Everything looks great and I am happy to report that 1st, I can enter the finishing stages right after the voicing is done & the binding added, and 2nd the M'cello full size blueprints should be available really soon!
Tomy Hovington Luthier