Meet The Seabreeze and The Wildfire, the 2 newest addition to the family! Look under the "Inventory tab" for more details.
Today in the shop... I added the last of the lacquer coats needed. I will now allow 1 week for the lacquer to cure completely before I start polishing the Mandolins.
Today in the shop... After the first lacquer coat is dry it's time to clean up the binding. Here are a few shots during the process and how they look after. Now the lacquer build up can begin!
Today in the shop... The new year just started in the shop today with finishing the color on this last mandolin. The hint of red should come out once the lacquer is on it. This one is called "Wildfire".
A Beast with bear claw!
Today in the shop... Today final sanding on "The Beast" and adding color to pop the wood grain. I knew the soundboard had a heavy bear claw but with the color it looks phenomenal.
Today in the shop... After all the stages of final sanding, I've added the color on this mandolin. The master grade back, side, and neck, look fantastic with this blue color. I will call this one "Seabreeze".
Today, well the past week really, in the shop... Fretboard making and Abalone and MoP inlay.
I've been busy with making the fretboards and inlaying. All the inlay was hand cut and carefully fitted, then the fretboards were radiused, binded and fretted. I am now working on the fretboard extenders to glue the fretboards on. Although there isn't mush left to do at this point, it will be time consuming because I'm entering the finishing stages. So I think those Mandolin should be finish somewhere in mid January to early February.
The three Mandolin look pretty sharp with the binding installed. There is one with White/black/white , (WBW) and two with (BWB)
Today in the shop...A bit of everything, started to re-polish the back and side of the OM, did some shaping on the mandos and started the lay out on the es-335 soundboard. Today was a good day!
Tomy Hovington Luthier